Welcome to fourteeneighteen, a professional research and advisory service provided by Chris Baker for anyone wishing to know more about the men, events and battlefields of the First World War.
In 2012 I celebrated ten years in business, so am now approaching the 20th anniversary.
Welcome. I hope that you will find all you need to know about my research business and that it will tempt you to engage my services.
If you are researching a soldier who served with the British Army in the First World War (and that includes Australian, Canadian and New Zealand men), and have perhaps got stuck or need a more detailed insight into his military life, you are in the right place.
My service is once again fully operational after I took some time to complete my latest book and with the National Archives also reopen for business (almost) as usual, I look forward to welcoming you as a client.
Researching your soldier
How I work: five simple steps
- Establish. I learn from you what you already know about your soldier and what you really seek to know about him. Some of my clients are focused on the man’s military life, battles he fought in, etc., but others are more interested in uncovering more personal and family detail. I strive to do both, but it helps me to understand your own purposes.
- Search. I find as much documentary evidence as I can by searching relevant archives and publications, and if necessary drawing upon my network of contacts for less-accessible information.
- Rebuild. I reassemble your soldier’s story from the details given by the documents, and draw upon extensive knowledge, my library and experience of the ground on which he fought, to create as clear but detailed an account of his army service as is possible.
- Report. I send you a comprehensive report and copies of everything found. This includes advice on what extra steps you might take to add even more to his story.
- Value. I send you a bill and you pay it.
Details of my service, fees and terms, payment methods and matters of copyright of undertaking your project
See also what we deliver
But please also check frequently asked questions if you are not sure whether your project fits
Don’t just take my word for it!
And finally … place your order
I would love to undertake your project. Place your order now