Welcome to fourteeneighteen, a professional research and advisory service provided by Chris Baker for anyone wishing to know more about the men, events and battlefields of the First World War.
In 2012 I celebrated ten years in business, so am now approaching the 20th anniversary.
Hurrah! Re-open for business …
1 July 2021: I am delighted to be able to re-open to take on your research projects. Please read through the site and click on “Place your order” when you are ready.
… but on a limited basis
I have re-opened with about 25% of my normal capacity.
After 18+ years dedicated to research, the last 13 of which have been full-time, and some 11000 soldiers lives rediscovered, I am taking a break – a sabbatical, if you like, to let me get on with a few projects of my own – for the other 75%!
Researching your soldier
How I work: five simple steps
- Establish. I learn from you what you already know about your soldier and what you really seek to know about him. Some of my clients are focused on the man’s military life, battles he fought in, etc., but others are more interested in uncovering more personal and family detail. I strive to do both, but it helps me to understand your own purposes.
- Search. I find as much documentary evidence as I can by searching relevant archives and publications, and if necessary drawing upon my network of contacts for less-accessible information.
- Rebuild. I reassemble your soldier’s story from the details given by the documents, and draw upon extensive knowledge, my library and experience of the ground on which he fought, to create as clear but detailed an account of his army service as is possible.
- Report. I send you a comprehensive report and copies of everything found. This includes advice on what extra steps you might take to add even more to his story.
- Value. I send you a bill and you pay it.
Details of my service, fees and terms, payment methods and matters of copyright of undertaking your project
See also what we deliver
But please also check frequently asked questions if you are not sure whether your project fits
Don’t just take my word for it!
And finally … place your order
I would love to undertake your project. Place your order now